As one of the most played card gambling games, with seemingly everybody in the Western world having a decent idea of how it is played, blackjack is commonplace at virtually all online casinos. Most players won’t need too much of an introduction to blackjack, for those just starting out in the online casino world for the very first time, here is a quick guide to playing blackjack for real money at internet casinos.
Before you sit down and play, you need to know how blackjack is played. For most of you, basic blackjack gameplay will be elementary. It is, as we’re sure you are aware, a game where the objective is to beat the dealer’s hand, and this is done primarily by getting as close to 21 points as possible, without busting (going over 21 points).
Every card is worth their numerical value in blackjack, save for aces which can be worth either 1 or 11 points, and face cards which are always worth 10 points. The dealer initially hands out two cards to themselves and the player. What happens next is entirely down to you…
Hit, Stand, Double Down or Split?
After the initial deal, players can choose from a variety of options. Hitting involves taking another card and is done when your points total is a considerable way off being worth 21 points. Standing is opting to stay with the hand you have and is ideal for players who are close to that figure. In most games, having a 21-point hand (and ace and a face, for instance), is deemed a natural, and will likely see you win immediately. There are other options open to you, too.
For instance, you can choose to double down in blackjack. This involves doubling your bet on the condition that you only receive one more card. You can also opt to split identical cards into two cards at the cost of another bet. This gives you one additional card to each hand.
Bagging a Blackjack Win
Once all moves have been made (provided you haven’t busted and lost immediately), the hands are compared. The player (or dealer) which has the highest-ranking hand without busting will win the game.
The prizes in blackjack vary. Any victory over the dealer will pay out even money at 1:1. Should you manage to land a 21-point hand from the off, you can expect payouts of 3:2. Another option in the game could see you take Insurance, which is a side-bet that the dealer has a 21-point hand from the start. If you take this bet, you could win 2:1 prizes, even if you go on to lose the hand.
Blackjack Variants Worth a Look
What you have read above are the most basic rules to any blackjack game. However, many top online casino software providers out there have produced a handful of variants. Each of these blackjack games twists the rules slightly, allowing for extra payouts and altered house edges. There are many of these to choose from, so it is worth taking a quick look at them.
- Blackjack Surrender: A blackjack variant which allows you to surrender (or fold) at the cost of half your original stake.
- Double Exposure: This game allows you to see both the dealer’s cards from the off, but the prizes are reduced should you be triumphant.
- Lightning Blackjack: A live dealer blackjack game which adds multipliers into the mix.
- 21+3 Blackjack: A game of classic blackjack, but one which features side-bets. These can include a variety of betting options (such as forming poker hands), which are well worth exploring.
- Pontoon: A British take on blackjack, and one which again features a slight alteration of the rules, and with players “twisting” instead of “hitting”.
- Atlantic City Blackjack: All hands (apart from blackjack) pay even money in this game.
- Multi-Hand Blackjack: This game provides you with the chance to place multiple bets from the start, with several hands on the game at once.
- Blackjack Switch: Blackjack Switch is played with players able to chop and change cards between hands.
There are, of course, many other blackjack variants out there for you to explore. Some reduce the house edge and the available prizes. Others increase the house edge but pay more. Some use many decks, and some (such as Single Deck Blackjack) just one deck. Ultimately, it is down to you to discover which blackjack variants suit you the best.
Basic Strategy and Other Tips
One of the most commonly used betting systems in blackjack is the Martingale System. This will not guarantee a win, but it does help in keeping you in the game for longer. However, this betting system can require a reasonably sized balance to be fully effective. At the same time, it is worth noting that the Blackjack Basic Strategy is the ideal gameplan for newbies. It takes some time to learn but can rapidly help you understand the best moves to make with the cards that appear on the table.
Other useful blackjack tips include:
- Play the game for free at first, to learn how each variant works
- Avoid Insurance Bets as much as you can
- Check the house edges involved in each game before you bet
- Never believe that you are “due” a win
- Never split tens
- Set a budget beforehand, and stick to it
Play Real Money Blackjack Online Today
You are spoilt for choice if you want to play blackjack online for real money. Top and reputable online casinos such as Paradise Casino and Kingdom Casino are home to a myriad of blackjack games that you can play. There are multiple variants up for grabs at these two leading casinos as well as many other casino sites. Moreover, both domains can also offer you live dealer blackjack games if you fancy playing something a touch more realistic and exciting. Whatever you want to play, there is guaranteed to be a blackjack variant for you somewhere out there on the net.