Loto-Québec has finally uncovered the truth about the province’s suspected criminal activities in local casino properties. Last week, the government released a report compiled by an external auditing firm with the goal of providing authorities with guidelines and strategies for dealing with future criminal activity at gaming venues.
In November of last year, Finance Minister Eric Girard said that an independent audit will be conducted to investigate criminal activities at Casino de Montréal. The inspection was announced shortly after several media reports that organized crime members have received special treatment in the said casino.
The independent firm’s official audit was concluded last week, and the Quebec provincial government said that it will be resorting to some of the suggestions. Last week, the finance minister indicated that Loto-Québec’s measures are effective, and that the media’s reflect of criminal activity are based on past events and do not reflect current ongoings.
The local government has announced that it will adopt a policy or process to prohibit players with a high-risk profile. As a result, the Crown agency will be allowed to cancel their memberships in the casino’s loyalty program and take away their accumulated points.
Furthermore, the Crown corporation will be given the power to conduct more thorough and comprehensive background investigations on specific patrons and their financial sources.
In addition, the province has promised to improve information exchange between the Crown and the police department. This includes sharing information on money laundering schemes, as well as typologies, techniques, operating modes, and organized crime groups. Several of the audit’s recommendations, such as the automation of systems to target suspicious activity, have already been introduced by the Crown.
In conclusion, the Crown agency added that, as organized crime evolves with time and new technologies, it is always looking for the best possible protocols in the fight against money laundering. Due to their links to organized crime groups, dealers did not feel obligated to allow a suspicious individual to win, according to the report.
Drop in Revenue
The Crown corporation Loto-Québec has had a difficult year as a result of the unprecedented situation. Its casino facilities in the province were closed for a long time, resulting in a significant drop in revenue. The corporation generated CA$457.6 million in revenue in the fiscal year of 2020-21, which is only a third of the previous fiscal year’s total revenue.
However, there is finally some good news for the Crown agency and Quebec’s gambling fanatics. The province said a week ago that it will reopen businesses, and casinos are included in that plan. On June 14, 2021, the Salon de jeux de Trois-Rivières reopened, with the Casino de Charlevoix, Casino de Mont-Tremblant, and Salon de jeux de Québec set to open on June 21.